Re: devd and device events (was Re: My $0.02 on devd and devfs)

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:14:57 -0700

Stephen Frost wrote:

> > IMHO /proc/device_events should be an ASCII list of device events, like
> > described previously in this thread. Each line in that list, though,
> > would need a timestamp of some sort.
>
> Hrm. Sounds like a syslog-type thing. Could this be done by passing
> data through syslog facilities?

We could, but then we have to make it stop dropping the first N lines of
dmesg before klogd can kick in. I'm not sure if this is such a good
idea -- if you never start running klogd, you could end up with a bunch
of kernel memory gobbled up by logs.

-hpa