Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

David Taylor (dtaylor@nildram.co.uk)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:22:50 +0100

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

>=20
> Either way, it's something that is not a real filesystem trying to
> pretend it is. The problem of permissions being associated w/
> files was dealt with quite a while ago and has worked for a rather
> long time, why try and invent a new way?
>=20
> Stephen
>=20

Since when did procfs give persistence? In my bootup scripts I have various
things being echo'd > /proc/... -- I can't really see the difference
between doing that and adding a few more lines to change the permissions on
my /dev/ directory or whatever.

--=20
David Taylor
E-Mail: davidt@xfiles.nildram.co.uk.spam [Remove .spam]