RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:35:12 +0400 (MSD)

In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9910082154180.32297-100000@ns.snowman.net> Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net) wrote:

>> > Until you reboot.
>>
>> No, Mr Frost, this issue has been addressed. Devfsd
>> gives persistance.

> #1: If you chmod a file in /dev, devfsd does not save that change
> as I understand it (Unless you change your happy config
> file).
> #2: The way it did at one point (Using a tarball) was slimy to
> say the least. I don't know if it still uses a tarball,
> some say it does, others that it doesn't. If it doesn't,
> then what is it doing to save, say, links?

> Either way, it's something that is not a real filesystem trying to
> pretend it is. The problem of permissions being associated w/
> files was dealt with quite a while ago and has worked for a rather
> long time, why try and invent a new way?

To make it workable with new system. Why new system is needed ? Read devfs FAQ.
If you'll be able to write WORKING code to solve all problems and keep old
solution with permissions all (including me) will be happy. So far I've not
seen such code. For TWO YEARS now.