Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:41:05 +0200

Steve Underwood wrote:
> This seems to be how a number of controllers are designed. At least, from
> reading some data sheets last year its how they appear to be designed.
> You need a fairly long timeout to give high tide a fair chance of being
> reached, hence significantly adding latency for low traffic
> transactions.

BTW, I said "N us", where N depends on the current estimated load.
Under high load you use large N. Under low load, N == 0.

But you're right that an in-between packet timer might be a good idea
too. I'd certainly add it to the silicon just to see what if the kernel
developers can make good use of it...

-- Jamie