Re: [patch] hashtable sizes for icache and dcache

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:22:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>Only because I run 2.3.18 and I am not confortable to go slow in the
>meantime.

Forget to specify that I am running with 100000 inodes in cache not with
16000 inodes in cache as I have enough memory and I mainly doing inode
(not data) operations to have fun with the inode-dynamic code that looks
very good for doing these intensive vfs things 8).

But with 100000 inodes in cache a 256 bucket hashtable is definetly
unusable (in the mean case I would have to walk 390 pointers at each iget
and so I am been _forced_ to enlarge such values to test my code). But the
old values looked too little also for the stock kernel where the mean
icache is 16000 inodes wide and the dcache can grow far larger than 16000.

Andrea