Beware of -10ns chips on PC100 modules

Arthur (arthur@sevenkings.net)
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:41:39 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:51:48 +0200, Herbert Huber
<Herbert.Huber@lrz-muenchen.de> wrote:

>It turned out that the real reason for the kernel oops I reported
>previously was a defect in one of the memory modules in my SMP server.
>Do you use PII ore PIII prozessors in your system and have you
>considered any memory defects?

Here's something else to beware of -- this is what Epox says in their
KP6-BS motherboard manual:

>We recommend when installed the 100MHz Deschutes Processor
>using DIMM SDRAM must be 125MHz (-8ns) bus speed. If used
>100MHz (-10ns) SDRAM may be critical timing for the motherboard.

So according to Epox, using -10ns chips is a risk. They may work,
but the timing is so marginal they may cause intermittent memory
errors, depending on other factors such as design of the motherboard,
temperature, electrical load on the bus, etc.

When I started shopping for PC100 memory, I found that many PC100
memory modules use -10ns chips. Micron only uses -8ns chips on their
PC100 modules, so I bought Micron. They were no more expensive than
the competition.

I have not had any memory problems with them.