Re: 2.3.18ac7 won't boot

bill@taniwha.org
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:29:08 +1200

Avenger wrote:

> Hi there,
> I compiled the 2.3.18ac7 kernel without any prob and now when I try to boot
> it says
> request_module[block-major-3] not found; root fs not mounted
> kernel panic
>
> What is this block-major-3 ??

IDE devices on controller 0.

> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m

Is this intended? Is it what you had for previous builds?

> CONFIG_SCSI=y

Which drive is your root fs on? If it's on the scsi drive, check that
the root is specified correctly either in the kernel (rdev) or your boot
command line (lilo, etc). If it's on the IDE drive, I would recommend
either building it into the kernel or setting up an init rd.

If the above is no help, you know more than I do.

Bill

--
Leave others their otherness.