Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Jos Hulzink (josh@stack.nl)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:05:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > My question is: Is there someone working on real device driver support for
> > Linux i.e. separated from the kernel ? Is there a mailing list on this
> > topic, or has an important decision been taken on this in the past ?
>
> Why are device drivers only "real" if shipped seperately ?
>
> I'm intrigued

Because my English is not good enough to explain what I mean in the short
question I wrote :)

I don't say they have to be shipped seperately, but if they are separated,
they can be handled like normal high-priority tasks, swapped out if
unused, delivered by manufacturers seperately of the kernel and kernel
version independent (more or less at least). Besides, by treating
drivers as tasks, it is sometimes possible to keep a system alive if a
driver crashes. (Though a real crash is still a real crash...),
providing better stability.

Jos