Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Jos Hulzink (josh@stack.nl)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:18:12 +0200 (CEST)

On 21 Sep 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> You clearly miss the point, Linux _has_ _real_ device drivers.
>
> Device drivers seperated from the kernel are not more real than the
> ones we have now. In fact they have a lot of bad effects which means
> that people insisting on standalone drivers will have to face the
> music on their own.
>
> Splitting off subsystems has many ill effects, such as:

{Snip}

I total agree with you on the profits of modules, but what I mean is not
that it should not be allowed to keep them in the kernel tree, but that
the interface with the kernel is more structured and more flexible, in
such way that if someone (for example a commercial company) wants to
deliver a driver, he has a welldefined interface indeed, some kernel-structures change sometimes, but I think that at least
in the stable kernel branch, these changes are not frequent enough to
implicit that a different driver must be compiled for every kernel.

Of course most drivers can be kept in the kernel tree, sorry if I seemed
to state otherwise.

Jos