SMP environment driver building issue, under RH6.0

WANG,YIDING (yiding_wang@am.exch.hp.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:32:05 -0600

Many thanks for the response!

I have tried 'insmod -f hpfc' and failed again with following messages:

./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_byte
./hpfc: unresolved symbol request_region
./hpfc: unresolved symbol __udelay
./hpfc: unresolved symbol kmalloc
./hpfc: unresolved symbol release_region
./hpfc: unresolved symbol scsi_unregister_module
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_byte
./hpfc: unresolved symbol scsi_register
./hpfc: unresolved symbol free_irq
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_dword
./hpfc: unresolved symbol __ioremap
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_word
./hpfc: unresolved symbol io_request_lock
./hpfc: unresolved symbol kfree
./hpfc: unresolved symbol request_irq
./hpfc: unresolved symbol scsi_register_module
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_dword
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_find_device
./hpfc: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_word
./hpfc: unresolved symbol sprintf
./hpfc: unresolved symbol check_region
./hpfc: unresolved symbol jiffies
./hpfc: unresolved symbol printk
./hpfc: unresolved symbol add_timer
./hpfc: unresolved symbol scsi_unregister
./hpfc: unresolved symbol __const_udelay
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
./hpfc was compiled for kernel version 2.2.5-15
while this kernel is version 2.2.5-15smp

"hpfc" is driver module name. The driver is tested on UP system already.

I tried again on Intel Viper (8 CPU) system again and did the following:
1, 'make menuconfig'
- Only thing changed there is to support SMP.
2, 'make dep'
3, recompile the driver with -D__SMP__ define in CFLAG under new system
configuration.
- with new configuration, driver compiled OK (it failed before the
reconfiguration
due to some variables are not defined when with -D__SMP__).
4, 'insmod hpfc'
- it failed with messgaes:
./hpfc was compiled for kernel version 2.2.5-15
while this kernel is version 2.2.5-15smp
5, 'insmod -f hpfc'
- it failed with the messages shown above.

I am sure that I missed something during the process of compiling or loading
driver but just don't know what.

Adding "#include <asm/smp.h> and <asm/spinlock.h>" in driver code doesn't
help either.
My system related CFLAG define: CFLAGS = -O -D__SMP__ -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE

Could anyone help on this issue please!!!

Many thanks!

-eddie