Re: Where the code goes?

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:48:27 +0300

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 05:24:47PM -0800, Tonglu yi wrote:
> I found that the linux kernel source code is about 60MB, but when I
> compiling into into binary, making it into kernel image, the image is
> only about 0.6MB. I don't know how it is so? Does all of the 60MB source
> code become the 0.6 binary code? Why?

Into all "n" or "m" letters at the configuration.
There is lots of source in the architecture specific
brances, plus lots of device drivers, which you never
need in your particular setup.
(But don't mistake it to be easily removable from the
generic kernel source tree..)

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>