Re: [linux-tr] SysKonnect driver broken in new kernels?

Adam Fritzler (mid@auk.cx)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:35:52 +0000 (UTC)

Nothing in sktr.c has changed since 16Jun1998 (driver v1.01). The version
in 2.1.123 is exactly the same as the one in 2.3.18.

The major thing that breaks is sktr_wait(). Replacing it with a udelay()
gets the card onto the network, and everything works except reception.
(Though udelay() is a blocking wait and the original sktr_wait() wasn't;
the driver waits for sometimes up to 40ms at a time, which is a long time
to freeze user space. I question however whether the delays are
necessary at all. For me, it works just the same without them; it may
be an ISA requirement however.)

I'm not real sure what breaks recieve. I don't know enough about the
driver layer to see a problem at a glance. Transmit appears to work just
fine (though pings don't work since it can't recieve the response).

Does this driver have an active maintainer? Jay is long gone, and the
author is unresponsive (though I admit I haven't waited too long :).
Who's the new head of linux-sna?

Also, would a patch get accepted that renamed the SysKonnect driver to
something more like 'Generic TMS380'? (The TMS380 chipset is sortof the
NE2000 of token ring -- for both ISA and PCI cards.)

mid

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Last version that worked for me was 2.1.123. Jay Schulist promised to fix
> > the driver, but i never saw any update, yet (seems to be a busy guy).
>
> Jay basically left the free software scene.
>
> Can you diff the last one you had working and current and I'll try and solve
> this
>

> -

---
  Adam Fritzler
  { mid@auk.cx, afritz@iname.com}
    http://www.auk.cx/~mid/
  "Something in my systray is blinking wildly." -- DS