RE: Samba can't keep NT shares mounted

Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:09:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Steve Rhodes wrote:

> If it makes you feel any better, I have experienced the same problem. It
> will also trip you up if you have a large number of files to transfer
> between machines. Basically, you will lose files randomly, which can be

Yes, this all sounds familiar (although I can't remember the details).

> pretty tough to track down. I didn't have time to check it out, so we
> installed Hummingbird NFS (yuk) on the NT box and used good old nfs mount
> as a work around.
>
> This is a pretty serious problem, as you say, and I found it hard to
> believe that no one has fixed it. Part of the issue might be the official
> Samba team refuses to support smbmount. This is a real shame, as it could
> be a big advantage for Samba if it worked reliably.

They don't refuse to maintain it ...

---
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:50:05 +1000
From: Andrew Tridgell <tridge@samba.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <samba@samba.org>
Subject: Re: newbie: where and how to use smbmount with 2.04b ?

> Somewhere in the documentation (don't remember exactly where) it > states that smbmount is not really supported by the samba team so it's > not enabled by default;

It hasn't been supported by the Samba Team recently as no one on the team uses it. The fact that it is Linux specific also doesn't help.

I have, however, just voluntered to start maintaining smbfs (and thus smbmount) so you can now consider it supported again. I've done quite [snip]

See? He is also listed in MAINTAINERS.

I guess he is a busy man, and I'm sure he'd appreciate all of our help solving this and other smbmount/smbfs problems. Yes, I know, time ...

/Urban