Re: Ext3 filesystem info?/ Q: LVM?

Andreas Dilger (adilger@enel.ucalgary.ca)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:07:07 -0600 (MDT)

Ph Marek writes:
> is it possible to resize it? while mounted, possibly?
> and how about LVM? is it anywhere in 2.3 (or 2.2)???

I have written a kernel patch + user space tools which allows mounted
resizing of ext2 filesystems. I had a quick look at the ext3 code, and
there aren't many changes to the super.c file which would affect my
resizer, so they shouldn't have any problem trying to coexist. The patches
themselves won't apply cleanly together, since they both add a new variable
to the parse_options() function. There are likely a few other conflicts in
the patch as well. You can get my patch from my web page:
http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/online-ext2/

As for LVM, it is entirely independent of filesystems. There is already
a fairly widely used Linux LVM at:
http://linux.msede.com/lvm

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger  University of Calgary \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they