Re: bug in socket.h (and maybe many other kernel headerfiles)

Benjamin LaHaise (kernel@kvack.org)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Sean Hunter wrote:

> ...will compile in gcc but not g++ IIRC. Now strictly in ansi c the
> above should not be allowed as a statement label (which "case 'd':"
> is) has to attach to a statement (which there isn't one in this case).

Yes, and almost none of the kernel headers that have inline code should be
pulled in by libc5. Those that are required (like socket.h) should have
the code #if'd out.

> This is why (regardless of libc), the kernel headers should not be
> compiled by a c++ compiler.

If that's the case, please explain how I use the C library from C++ on
libc5 systems? There are commercial apps that require this -- libc5 is
not dead yet!

-ben