Re: version mismatch in modules

Dietmar Stein (dstein2203@t-online.de)
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 07:57:46 +0200

Hi

Just a question in between (while I am making my own first steps with
RedHat):

What about the symlinks in /boot to vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and
System.map-2.2.5-15?
Did you remove them? If not, I think they won't be overwritten by "make
bzlilo". And I had to edit /usr/src/linux/Makefile to make installpath
/boot work (I got the sources from www.kernel.org).
Have also a closer look to /etc/lilo.conf - kernel which will be loaded
is vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and not vmlinuz (which is normally done).

Dietmar

Edmund Bacon wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:06:44 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Hi, this is the first time we try to compile a kernel.
> >We are running a Red Hat 6.0 - 2.2.5-15 and we'll like to upg. to 2.2.12
> >PII 350 - 64Mb
> >3com 59x
> >intel 740 video card (with it's Xfree86 installed)
> >
> >This is what we did :
> >- We got the sources
> >- unpacked in usr/src/linux
> This may be where I think you went wrong (slightly ...)
> If you installed the kernel sources from the RH CD you need to
> - get the sources
> - cd /usr/src
> - rm linux (this is a link to linux-2.2.5)
> - now unpack the sources, and continue on...
> I like to:
> mv linux linux-2.2.12 #eg
> ln -s linux-2.2.12 linux
> >- make mrproper
> ^^^-- Hmm... doesn't this erase .config (your old config)?
> >- make oldconfig
> If make mrproper removes .config, what does make oldconfig do if
> there is no .config?
> >- make dep
> >- make zlilo ("error 2, system is too big, try make bzimage")
> >- make bzlilo (it works)
> >- make modules
> >- make modules_install
> >
> >reboot
> >

> -

"Wissen ist ein Transportproblem" W. Roesler
     http://home.t-online.de/home/dstein2203
dstein2203@t-online.de dstein@phoenixcontact.com
        Systemadministrator UNIX / Linux