Re: version mismatch in modules

Francesco Agosti (info@valsassina.it)
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 09:13:30 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Dietmar Stein <dstein2203@t-online.de>
To: Edmund Bacon <ebacon@home.com>; linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, September 12, 1999 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: version mismatch in modules

>Hi
>
>Just a question in between (while I am making my own first steps with
>RedHat):
>
>What about the symlinks in /boot to vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and
>System.map-2.2.5-15?
>Did you remove them? If not, I think they won't be overwritten by "make
>bzlilo". And I had to edit /usr/src/linux/Makefile to make installpath
>/boot work (I got the sources from www.kernel.org).
>Have also a closer look to /etc/lilo.conf - kernel which will be loaded
>is vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 and not vmlinuz (which is normally done).
>
>Dietmar
>
>Edmund Bacon wrote:

Yes, all you wrote is correct and we discovered it during the process.
we corrected vmlinuz link, and lilo.conf since the installation process
didn't all the job. (the kernel howto warned us about this topic)
Not still sure about system.map, i'll check it out.
Anyway, using make xconfig i was able to tell the system that i have a
module for 3c59x and
that was compiled (i expected that all the modules would have been compiled
with the new release of the kernel but it seems i was wrong) and put in the
/lib/modules/2.2.12/net path
Now the new kernel boots without hanging during mode dependency check.. but
my network still doesn' work, eth0 reports error.
I would like to figure out how to include the 3c59x support (or other stuff
aswell) inside the kernel or in a module.
I have it in a module in my 2.2.5-15 and works, with make xconfigure i also
made a try to add internal support but it didn' work.
I think this is a good exercise to understand how linux works, i'm going to
repeat all the process again this week.
Thanks for your help.

Francesco