Re: 2.2.12: serial driver swapping characters?

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 12:18:27 +0100

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:20:48 +0200, "Ulrich Windl"
<ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

>On 8 Sep 99, at 13:47, Kris Karas wrote:
>

>> I just saw the first instance of what might be serial corruption last night
>> running 2.3.16. The kernel dumped "VJ Decompression Error" onto my console
>> while I was using PPP over an error-correcting modem link. I have no idea if
>> this was due to the serial stream or something in the TCP layer; but if the
>> former, and the serial code from 2.3 was back-ported to 2.2, then perhaps the
>> errors are related.
>
>Let me throw in that the problem did not occur on a faster machine,
>so there might be some race conditions. Slow hardware can't explain
>swapped chracters or duplicated ones IMHO.
>
>Anyone with a real slow machine out there?

I have a PS/2 486SLC which is a 17 bogomip machine. I am having a lot
of problems with PPP throughput since moving up from 2.2.10 to 2.2.12.
At times I see up to 50% incoming PPP frame errors over a V90 modem
link.

I don't know if this is relevant.