Re: 2.2.12 failed compile on RH6

Karl Kleinpaste (karl@justresearch.com)
30 Aug 1999 18:06:09 -0400

Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Other things may well break if you forget to make oldconfig after patching.
> Why should this one get special treatment?

Because
- this (human) error occurs even in the absence of any old config
which might be able to be made (i.e. I do not use patch for new
kernel releases), and
- the nature of the error messages given bears positively zero
relation to the actual flaw encountered; one has to go grep'ing the
source to find out what was wrong, when the source itself could
indicate immediately what went wrong, just by use of #error.

I have seen 3 reports of this in l-k since CONFIG_xGB came into
existence, and we can only wonder how many identical cases go
unreported by others who have grep'd and found their trouble the hard
way. Manifestly, it is a common problem. The trivial extra 2 lines
would eliminate such reports entirely. There is no reason *not* to do
it -- there is no reason to manifest "the hard way" in the 1st place.