Re: [rtl] Low-latency patches working GREAT (<2.9ms audio latency), see testresults ,but ISDN troubl

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:45:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu wrote:

> It absolutely is something new. In the current kernel, we check for
> preemption only at points where we are about to do a context
> switch anyways [...]

huh? We have a preemption point after every system call. Typically we
execute tens of thousands of system calls per second on a moderately
loaded system, and only tens/hundreds of context switches per second. A
system call is not a context switch. I dont really see where this
discussion is going to. If you believe there is something weird going on,
please download the patch and prove it. The only thing that 'changed' is
the behavior of high-frequency-rescheduling RT tasks, but this is very
much intended.

> That is the logic is:
> before commit to a switch to user, see
> if there is a hint to call the scheudler

sorry, a switch to user-space is nowhere near a context switch. A context
switch is when we schedule from one process (thread) to another one. There
is about an order of magnitude between the cost of them, and about two
orders of magnitude between the typical frequency of them. (user-kernel
entries being much cheaper and much more frequent)

> This is not the same as
> before copy a block check to see if there
> is a hint to call the scheduler.

we have thousands of system calls executed between every typical
reschedule. Go check it yourself. So wether one out of those final system
calls is 'partial' or not makes no difference. If it makes a difference
then the patch has unearthed some kernel bug which we want to fix anyway.

> > [btw. 99% of the time the X client gets rescheduled is not due to
> > need_resched but due to the unix-domain socket buffer running out of write
> > space. And this is true globally, need_resched itself is resposible for a
> > small fraction of reschedules only.]
>
> In the current system, yes. After your patch, it is not at all clear.

huh? it is absolutely true both for the current kernel and for the patched
kernel. The patch does not generate _any_ new need_resched 'events'. It
only shortens the time we 'respond' to need_resched, thats all.
need_resched is rarely used in a typical (or benchmarked) system, whenever
some process is trying to naturally preempt a currently running process.

if you think about it, many 'need_resched events' can happen at a large
scale only if there is a higher-statical-priority (not necesserily RT)
process around that does high frequency rescheduling. Nothing in a typical
system does that - and if it does than the priority difference very much
mandates the kernel to reschedule ASAP. In fact, with the patch i see much
better interactive behavior under X when i load the system, interactive
events (which have higher priority) get executed much faster.

-- mingo