Re: The Matrox Frame Buffer still has problems (offtopic)

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:47:07 MET-1

On 26 Aug 99 at 13:49, David Odin wrote:
> The Matrox Frame Buffer doesn't compile with 2.3.15:
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.3.15/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce -DCPU=586 -c -o matroxfb.o
> matroxfb.c
> matroxfb.c: In function `initMatrox2':
> matroxfb.c:5881: section attribute cannot be specified for local variables
> I use gcc 2.7.2.3 and it doesn't seem to like a section attribute for
> non-global variable, which I perfectly understand, since local variable are
> to be taken on the stack
Local static variables are allocated as global... I understand that
egcs does not like 'const' together with '__initdata' (as you may see in
the comment in code), but I do not see any reason for 'static' local
variable being refused - even if function itself is marked '__initfunc'...
> +#ifndef MODULE
> + /* it cannot be static const struct due to __initdata
> + marker */
> + static struct fb_videomode defaultmode __initdata = {
> + /* 640x480 @ 60Hz, 31.5 kHz */
> + NULL, 60, 640, 480, 39721, 40, 24, 32, 11, 96, 2,
> + 0, FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED
> + };
> +#endif /* !MODULE */
> So, please include it in the next releases of the linux kernel.
I send it to Linus after I download latest and greatest version of kernel.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz