Re: PATCH: please backout this set of broken changes

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:10:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> Does GNU ld behaviour guarantee this. If so a lot of problems go away rather
> nicely.

I don't know if GNU ld guarantees the ordering thing, but we do depend on
it in other areas, like the exception handling.

The exception handling basically depends on ordering being maintained wrt
different segments, because that's how we know the exception table can be
searched with a binary search (because the entries in the kernel are in a
ascending order).

Now, that's not exactly the same ordering as we are talking about here,
but it's very similar. I bet that if one breaks the other breaks, and then
we'll need to talk to the binutils people to ask them how to guarantee
ordering if they are being extra clever..

Linus