Re: random lockups on new computers

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:55:18 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, David Hamm wrote:

> Thank you.. I've not tried that. My current effort is turning off
> the level 2 cache on the cpu. It seems to have worked on one of the 4
> computers I've tested.

Interesting.

> Now I'm trying it on one of the others. I'm using an ASUS P2BF mb
> with a 366mhz Celeron cpu and 32 megs of SDRAM. In the bios the SDRAM
> Configuration setting is set to "BY SPD". The options are 7ns, 8ns,
> and disabled. Do you have a suggestion on which to select?

I don't really know, to be honest. Last time I had to do this,
the options were 60ns and 70ns :)

I had a machine which would give random segfaults when building
large packages at 60ns, but which has been rock-solid at 70.

This doesn't, of course, mean that the memory's at fault - it could
be the cache, motherboard, PSU, cooling or any combination.

Matthew.