Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:17:04 +0100

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 05:29:09AM +0400, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> SD> Maybe we could switch to the standard library versioning system, i.e.:
>
> It will be done way the Linus likes most :-)

I know.. but there's no harm in chucking the idea into the air and seeing what
people think, is there?

> Source-level compatibility is maintained more-or-less but binary drivers

Source-level compatibility is really what I was worrying about, but binary
compatibility would be nice too. I don't approve of (and wouldn't run) binary
ONLY drivers, but it would be nice not to have to rebuild pcmcia-cs each time
I patch the kernel on my laptop.

I notice that CONFIG_MODVERSIONS seems to have been fixed in 2.3.x -- but I
haven't tried it. I do notice that modutils 2.1.121 requires -f to load a
module even if module versioning is turned on -- that's a bit unnecessary,
isn't it?

--
Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off