Re: Promise RAID (was Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4141)

cd_smith@ou.edu
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:35:26 -0500 (CDT)

J. Reeves Hall wrote:
> Is there any support for the Promise FastTrak IDE RAID controller, or do
> we have to wait on Promise to release their (most likely binary-only)
> drivers? Has anyone been able to determine anything about this board?
>
> - -Reeves Hall

Admittedly, I have experience with only one RAID controller - Digital's
StorageWorks... but I was under the impression that RAID controllers don't
typically require drivers besides ordinary SCSI or IDE support by the
kernel. Is this something unique to StorageWorks? Someone please clue me
in. It seems really dumb for a RAID controller to depend on some
proprietary interface when normal SCSI or IDE will do just fine.

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>