Re: Cyrix "coma bug" fix was deleted from pre-2.3.10-4

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:15:53 +0100

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 07:00:26PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> Because the fix in 2.3.10 is plain wrong,

Hmm. I can't find any docs on the registers it was twiddling, but from a
hexdump of the .COM file Cyrix give as their work around, it looks like the
2.3.6-2.3.10 code was doing the same thing.

> and because it can be done by
> set6x86 quite nicely anyway.

In which case can it at least still shout about the bug when it finds it?
People who were used to the 2.2 behaviour will get a bit of shock when 2.4
materialises.

Also, does this mean the distributions (e.g. Redhat? :) are going to detect
the CPU type on start-up and run set6x86 appropriately? No, I didn't think
so..

BTW Alan - ORBS has got one of the Demon relays again, so I can't mail you
direct. I'm off to bang some heads together at Demon towers, if I can.

--
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."