Re: [Way OT] Re: 20 years without semantic innovation is enough

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 01:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Dancer wrote:

> Commercial devices have been produced in the past with sensors (not
> unlike an eeg) built into a headband. There've been hands-free mice,
> keyboards, and joysticks..You may have seen the advertising for them in
> computer magazines around 1981-1984-ish. The keyboard was almost
> impossible to learn to use (but that was actually a strategic problem,
> not a technological one. I know how to fix that). The mouse and joystick
> conversions were quite good. Easy to learn to use (that is, about 2-3
> days before you could get 'em to behave). I liked 'em so much I built
> one myself once (a mouse - which I later sold to a disabled Mac user to
> offset the disgusting (at the time) cost of off-the-shelf
> high-sensitivity epidermal pickups). The spooky thing about these
> gadgets is that there's a brief delay between you making a conscious
> decision to take an action, and actually KNOWING that you've made the
> decision (I mean being aware of it). It's eerie to have the mouse
> double-click on an icon just as you become aware that that is what you
> want to do.
>
> For my money, a combined keyboard/mouse/joystick unit, with an IRDA link
> in my top pocket, and voice-recognition can go jump in the lake. Who
> needs it?

Interesting... Mouse and joystick are very low-bandwidth interfaces
(actually that's *the* reason of my dislike towards them - point'n'click
may be fun, but for editing give me vi and a decent keyboard). How does
this stuff work for the keyboard? I have vi in my fingers - serious
type-ahead is norm. If this channel can provide comparable bandwidth
and lower latency than fingers+keyboard... I'ld like to play with it.
Another problem being the noise, indeed. It's easy to keep it low on
the fingers+keyboard combination, but I'm not so sure about the EEG-type
stuff...