Re: Oops assist...

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Thu, 06 May 1999 23:41:05 +1000

On Thu, 6 May 1999 06:04:12 -0400 (EDT),
"Michael B. Trausch" <mtrausch@wcnet.org> wrote:
>OTOH, the kernel should be restarted... My Linux oops'd once when I put
>buggy RAM in it, and it instantly rebooted.

That is hitting a special case, a triple page fault. The buggy RAM
caused a fault, the error handler took another fault, recovering from
that failed again - instant reboot from hardware. In a lot of cases,
an Oops is recoverable. The problem is that we cannot tell which ones
are restartable and which ones are not.