Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 5 May 1999 15:02:37 +1000

Larry McVoy writes:
> You guys should listen to Ken. He is a wise man. Linux is a great
> little OS and is probably the world's greatest software development
> environment. On the other hand, there are a bunch of places where
> it leaves a lot to be desired. Using an off the shelf Linux for a
> firewall vs. using an off the shelf Solaris as a firewall is an
> interesting comparison. Using Linux when you really need 64 bits to
> work is also an interesting problem. I've been through 3 startups
> which are all Linux based and there was many a time that I was ready
> to call Sun (I never did, but it was, and continues to be, quite
> painful).

Agreed, there are gaps. But Solaris isn't without its problems either.

> That doesn't say anything negative about Linux, by the way. It just
> says we still have work to do. Which is true.

What seemed negative to me was how he said NT was bad and Linux was
worse. That he considers Linux *worse* than NT was rather surprising.

Regards,

Richard....