Re: Wierd IDE configuration

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 06:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Juhani Rautiainen wrote:

>I've got machine which has two identical IBM 16 GB disks. Funny thing
>is that linux seems to think that their geometry is different.
>Here is output from boot messages:
>
>hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63, UDMA
>hdb: IBM-DTTA-351680, 16124MB w/462kB Cache, CHS=2055/255/63, UDMA
>hdc: IBM-DTTA-351680, 16124MB w/462kB Cache, CHS=32760/16/63, UDMA
>
>Both disks have identical settings in BIOS. Motherboard is Abit BX6 v2.0
>which is BX-based. This doesn't seem to cause any trouble but does anyone
>have idea why this happens?. BTW kernel is 2.2.6.

The drive that is hdc should be put temporarily on hda or hdb and
partitioned there. Then once it is done, put it back on hdc, and
your trouble should be gone. I don't recall why this is so, but
I had a very similar problem when I got my new 4.3G Quantum a
ways back, and that was the solution that was given to me, which
worked too. I now partition ALL hard disks on the primary
interface.

Note that only a first partition need be made like that. Once a
partition exists on the drive, further partitions can be created
easily and work just fine no matter what interface the drive is
on. Seems to me someone said it was a problem with LILO, or that
you could fix it by passing the kernel info about the drive that
the BIOS doesn't pass about drives beyond hdb or something...

Anyways, it works for me. Good luck.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!