Re: audio fs emulation

RoboHak (RoboHak@protovision.org)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:44:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Senko.
>
> >> I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, never mind try it
> >> out, but there's one thing I'd be interested in knowing: How
> >> does it handle dual-mode CD's (those with a combination of data
> >> and audio tracks) ???
>
> > It doesn't. It just displays data tracks, but (at present) can't
> > access them.
>
> >> I'd like to see it handle those by one of the following, but
> >> have no idea if either is possible:
>
> >> 1. "mount /dev/cdrom" results in a separate directory called
> >> /audio appearing with the relevant files within it.
>
> > Hmm...(imho) that would need redesigning complete isofs code and
> > adding audio support for it. If it's possible (isofs uses normal
> > bread, audiofs passes calls to cd ioctls) at all...
>
> Alternatively, set up the isofs code so if it finds any audio tracks
> on the CD and /proc/filesystems includes audiofs, it adds a virtual
> directory called audio to the root directory of the CD with a file
> entry for each audio track found, and does a hidden loopback mount via
> audiofs as required...

*snip*

And what happens if the CD already had a directory or file named audio in
it's root directory? Adding files or directories for the audio tracks to
the same place as the data will always have the possibility of causing
problems. 2 seperate mount points like a audio and data directory under
the mount point, or having audio files in the root of the mount point and a
data directory under that are the only 2 ways I can think of doing it
without the possibility of naming conflicts.

--
RoboHak			RoboHak@protovision.org | RoboHak@mediaone.net