Re: Please!! Help me to help us to use WinModems in Linux

bwoodard@cisco.com
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:31:30 -0700

C'mon here we should be a bit more encouraging. Sure using the
hardware will suck rocks and chew up your CPU cycles but to be quite
honest quite, making even a lame driver available would be useful to
the linux community.

Quite a few of us are shackled with a useless WinModem through no
fault of our own. I bought a laptop; it has a WinModem built in, I
have to carry a PCMCIA card when I go on the road. The CPU loading is
not a problem for me, the laptop has a PII/300 in it that hardly ever
breaks a sweat. I expect that I am not the only one in this boat.

I personally have never written a driver for anything but Solaris but
the requirements seem pretty modest. It is just that the code paths in
the interrupt handlers might be a bit long. My CPU would probably be
happy to chew on something for a while, even kernel compiles don't
seem to take very long anymore.

Richard,

I would reccomend getting a copy of:

Linux Device Drivers by Alessandro Rubini, O'Reilly and Asscociates
ISBN 1-56592-292-1
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922921/ref=sim_books/002-7777075-8168254

and

Linux Kernel Internals 2nd edition by M. Beck et al. Addison-Wesley
ISBN 201331438
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201331438/qid=923689511/sr=1-1/002-7777075-8168254