Re: Please!! Help me to help us to use WinModems in Linux

Y2K (y2k@y2ker.com)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:05:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Richard Reynolds wrote:
> someone saying that this modem was all software driven (duh I knew that) and
> that the drivers were somekind of seceret (did not know that can't even see
> how, sence i found them?) and that they were not available. Well as of now i
> have the technology (drivers source code) to make the drivers required to
> run my modem. I can recreate the drivers for windozs make new ones for DOS
> (also not "supported" by the vendor) but i have no ability to program in
> Linux and don't even know where to start. The drivers would need to do 3
> major things
I've heard that the timing was very important to these kinds of modem
trying to support these brain-dead things would mess up scheduling as it
needs constant real-time dsp in order to work.
IMHO well-behaved hardware should use buffering, dma, etc to be time
constraint friendly to the OS. Real modems are serial ports buffered with
16550A's or better. Or maybe USB modems as I've been rumored as to their
existence.
> 1. initialize the device maybee at a very early stage the ports are turned
> off until initialize is complete and successful.
> 2. process every 32bit word before being sent to the modem.
> 3. process every 32bit word after being recieved by the modem.
Play dsp cause the manufactorer was to cheap to be good?
Chew up 20% or more of your cpu? Constantly allow it to preempt the things
running on your system?
Sounds real ugly to me.
Of course I'll be quiet now as I'm a little extreme in the fact that I
would pay extra for a modem without the evil fax capabilities.
I really hate fax;->