Re: out of memory = stuck on TLB IPI wait

George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:34:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

>For what it might be worth, here (i586 UP, egcs-1.1.2, binutils-2.9.1.0.22b
>for 2.2.5) I just compiled lynx a few times until I'd got the configuration
>right (the compilation of one particular file is an enormous memory hog, it
>went some 45Mb into swap over 32Mb RAM) while playing spider(1) under X.
>The system was quite responsive. No troubles at all.

The problem seems to be thread related and probably also SMP related. I can
run out of memory with 4 Electric Eyes and nothing happens. But if I try
running out of memory with 4 multi-threaded GIMPs, the system dies quickly.
It started at 2.2.0-pre7.

-George Greer