Re: Slow mouse with 2.2.2/2.2.3 SMP

Gert van der Knokke (gertk@rendo.dekooi.nl)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:50:51 +0000

Tom Holroyd wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Gert van der Knokke wrote:
>
> >While running X and moving the mouse it (the mouse pointer)
> >sometimes stops moving for a short moment and then continues
> >again. At the moment the mouse pointer is moving again there is
> >disk activity.
>
> Yea, I get the same thing on my UP Alpha 2.2.5, usually when the system
> swaps something out it can get very unresponsive. But hey, it's busy. It
> doesn't actually _lose_ the interrupts, because the mouse JUMPS to the
> correct position afterwards. Same for you?

Well, I did some testing and it seems to be related to the serial port I use.
My guess is that both the extra serial ports I installed are somehow using
the same IRQ although I've jumpered them to different IRQ's on the board.

I have two on-board serial ports (ttyS0/ttyS1), I now use the second for the
mouse instead of one of the extra ports (ttyS2) and the problem is gone. On
the fourth port I have a monitor/status display connected which is updated
every minute. I noticed the mouse 'lockups' to be in-sync with the updates of
this display. I used setserial to set the IRQ for the extra ports but I've
read that setserial doesn't work anymore with kernels > 2.2.x ? How does one
set the IRQ for these extra ports ? Or should the kernel autodetect them ?

The mouse now runs 'as smooth as silk' :)

Gert