Re: `Out of memory for cc1' in linux-2.2.4

Tom Holroyd (tomh@nibh.go.jp)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:13:19 +0900 (JST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>And while we're on the subject, is anybody else having VM problems able
>to relate them to shared memory usage?

Well, if I use Gimp (GIMP version 1.0.1) with the X shared memory
extension (XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1) on my Alpha PC164 then after a while X
crashes.. If I use Gimp's --no-xshm option I can run it all day.

Just a data point, but if there's some Magic SysRq or other prog I can
run (the system's still live -- I can telnet to it from elsewhere, though
the consoles crash -- I can't Ctrl-Alt-F2 after X dies) to probe the
shared memory I'd be happy to test it.

Dr. Tom Holroyd
I would dance and be merry,
Life would be a ding-a-derry,