Re: Linux 2.2.5 won't boot?

Neil Cherry (ncherry@home.net)
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 22:40:16 -0400

Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Jussi.
>
> > I ran into a VERY strange problem. I have an AMD 486DX4/100 on
> > an MG motherboard. The problem is that Linux refuses to boot
> > without a monitor connected. LILO loads up the kernel, but it
> > hangs after "booting the kernel..." until I connect a monitor.
> > With a monitor connected the system boots up fine.
>
> Sounds like the old PCI PnP motherboard problem to me...

2.2.5

I've got a similar problem with an ISA/VBA board, AMD486DX4/100.
I built the Kernel to support the RS232 console interface. I wonder
if it needs the serial port signals in the correct position to work.
BTW, I have a VGA card in because I'm not done rebuilding the
system.

> That's usually rather easier to fix - go into your ROM BIOS setup,
> find the option determining what errors to stop on, and change it to
> "None". The default is usually "All except keyboard", and the machine
> will lock up if it can't find a video card on that setting.
>
> > Anyone got any advice?

I'm going to see if attaching a terminal (PC) to the serial port helps
and I'll check the BIOS for the settings (I may have no video selected).

The console terminal was needed on AT&T 3B2's so maybe they emulated
that.

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             ncherry@home.net
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)