Re: DMA disabled and busy errors

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:18:23 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 11:41:03AM +0100, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> > I got loads of these over the weekend. Spec appended below.
>
> I get these too with certain IDE drives.

Care to name the chipset and drive combination with revisions?
Drive Name and Firmware is desired highly.

> I'm not sure why some drives have problems and some don't, I just
> assumed it was because IDE is brain dead and ignore it...

Usually the chipset and the drive are not communicating at the same rates
or one the two devices (drive or host adapter/mainboard) failed to
correctly recognize one or the other. Manufacturer forgot to read
something.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/2.2.5.uniform-ide-6.19.patch.gz