Re: Subject: Re: ext3 to include capabilities?

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 13:43:13 +1000

unknown@riverstyx.net writes:
> It's not really just about editing the password file though, is it?
> After all, if I have write access to all of root's other files, I can just
> make a cron job that dumps in an extra user to /etc/passwd, or any number
> of other possibilities... adding a capability for filesystem access to
> root's files would likely be more useful than just CAP_EDIT_PASSWD.

> > > But here root is still special. Somebody who has the permissions to
> > > create users may create a root user or change root's password and thus
> > > gain access to root and then to everything?
> >
> > The capability to create users is the capability to edit /etc/passwd.
> > That implies being able to create root users. This has nothing to do
> > with Albert's scheme.
> >
> > A correct administration tool which has CAP_EDIT_PASSWD will prevent
> > creating root users unless CAP_GOD is set.

But my point is that the (privileged) security tools that allow an
operator to create users should prevent the operating from creating
root users. So it's a user space problem. It's completely orthogonal
from Albert's proposal.

Regards,

Richard....