Re: CMI8330 and SIS6326 [maybe offtopic]

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:08:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Kernel List wrote:

> > On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Kernel List wrote:
> > > Afaik the CMI8330 and its cousin the CMI8338 both have the virtue of providing
> > > a cheap < 10ukp SPDIF input card. I don't now of anything comparable in price
> > > that has that ability.
> >
> > CMI8330 spdif is broken for sure. Reportedly fixed in the 8338 but then
> > noones shipping 8338 cards yet. The only ones so far seem to be reference
> > cards direct from cmedia.
>
> In what way is it broken? I've got one but have yet to try it. I was intending
> to have a go at setting it up but Stefan Laudat seems to have beaten me to it.
> I'm surprised by what you say about the 8338 as I have such a card in my hand
> at the moment. PCI and apparently manufactured the first week in January.
> I'm under the impression that they have ceased production of the 8330 in favour
> of the 8338. Certainly 8330 cards are now hard to find.

Umm!

I've got a HT8338/PCI sitting in from of me and have had it for two months
since the 8330 was no longer available when I went to order it.

There is a RCA S/PDIF out on this card and a internal header for S/PDIF in
(though I've never used the S/PDIF in). It works great.