Re: CMI8330 and SIS6326 [maybe offtopic]

Kernel List (kernel@emgee.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:19:59 +0000 (GMT)

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Kernel List wrote:
> > Afaik the CMI8330 and its cousin the CMI8338 both have the virtue of providing
> > a cheap < 10ukp SPDIF input card. I don't now of anything comparable in price
> > that has that ability.
>
> CMI8330 spdif is broken for sure. Reportedly fixed in the 8338 but then
> noones shipping 8338 cards yet. The only ones so far seem to be reference
> cards direct from cmedia.

In what way is it broken? I've got one but have yet to try it. I was intending
to have a go at setting it up but Stefan Laudat seems to have beaten me to it.
I'm surprised by what you say about the 8338 as I have such a card in my hand
at the moment. PCI and apparently manufactured the first week in January.
I'm under the impression that they have ceased production of the 8330 in favour
of the 8338. Certainly 8330 cards are now hard to find.

The life time of a sound card chipset seems to be measured in months at the
moment. I'm tending to recommend AWE32s to people as they generally do the
job and are easily available from Computer Exchange.

> Its also always a hack job since 8330/8338 cards usually dont come with
> SPDIF connectors.

I've never seen one without at least an on board connector. Do you know
of an online source of documentation on the 8338. All I've got is in
Word format and from what I can make out says very little.

> Also from what I understand the output is stucked at 44khz so DATheads
> might have a problem with that.

Yeah but these things are so cheap you can use another card for output.