Re: Routes disappear [WAS Re: Alpha: SYN-cookie problem. routes

Michael Hasenstein (hasenstein@yahoo.com)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:53:33 -0800 (PST)

---kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> > Another thing I found not very efficient is that we are not garbage
> > collecting all the unused routes, but 1 per hash chain. I had only a
> > fast read to the code so I hope I have understood correctly.
>
> It is not another thing, it is exactly this thing 8)8)8)
>
> Well, if you want to dig in this, please, get
> ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/kernel-ss* better.

I have done the
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_min_interval
on the machine. Looks like it's crashed again right now, can't check,
because I'd have to login ;-) Since it run ok all day and the
syn-attacks have been going on very regularly for 3 months according
to the logfiles I guess they're the reason again (which reminds me to
ask the owner of the machine if he really had the crashes for 3 months
or if this is new).

It's a customers machine 400 miles away, so my debugging abilities are
limited (e.g. using kernel patches). I'd be willing to get an Alpha
and try to debug it here in the office, though, merely for interest
(can't charge all the time I spent to that customer anyway; and we do
have some Alphas for Linux). Any suggestions/wishes (something you'd
like to know about the system)?
==

--
Michael Hasenstein