Re: Grr..

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 23:12:27 -0600 (CST)

On 8 Mar 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > | I've just had someone bashing Linux because of the 4GB max physical limits
> > | for Intel architectures. I've told him to fuck off and buy an 64bit Alpha,
> > | but he mentioned that BSDI can use all 64GB on a Xeon's 36bit addressing
> > | range. Why is Linux limited to 4GB and BSDI can address 64GB ona Xeon?
>
> BSDI probaby uses it as a ramdisk and swap to it, which is what Linux
> probably will do.

It's worth noting that the limiting factor right now is that there aren't
any developers with an appropriate test machine. If someone _really_ needs
this feature, there are probably a number of people who'd be delighted to
produce such a patch in exchange for >4GB of RAM.

Until then, no one really cares.