Re: More NFS Bugs (QUESTION) [Slightly OFFTOPIC]

Ricardo Galli Granada (gallir@atlas-iap.es)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 02:26:25 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Linux's user space nfsd doesn't support locking.
> Kernel 2.0.x clients don't support locking but pretend that it's worked (!)
> Kernel 2.1.x clients can support locking, and will (correctly) fail if it's not
> working properly. They can be persuaded to behave the same as 2.0.x by
> mounting with the 'nolock' option.
>
> To get _real_ locking, you have to use the knfsd, and also run 2.[12] clients.
> The server and the clients must both be running rpc.kstatd

At least I am realizing the smoke in my eyes, but in some kernel
documentation it says, "the knfsd is just another option", in Config.help
it just says "faster...".

If it's the only way to get locking, I would say, "it's a must if you
don't want to get locked with locking".

Thanks again.

--
Ricardo Galli