Re: 2.2.2-ac7 TCP ignores ICMP host unreachable ??

Rob van Nieuwkerk (robn@verdi.et.tudelft.nl)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:30:41 +0100

Hi,

Alan Cox wrote:
> > Some quick testing reveals that 2.2.2-ac7 ignores ICMP host unreachable
> > packets when *initiating* a TCP connection:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
> It does for most kinds of packet
>
> > Sorry, I've no time to test 2.2.2 now. But I can do more tests later
> > if someone wants more data !
>
> 2.0 is the one thats wrong. See the RFC's.

OK, I'll do that tomorrow.

But my memory tells me this:

- Host Unreachable should be ignored for an *existing* TCP connection
(it is considered an transient error)
- Host Unreachable should make a TCP connection *setup* fail

If this last rule doesn't apply what's the use of sending the HU anyway ? ..
(well maybe some routing protocols/software use them ?)

Greetings,
Rob van Nieuwkerk