Re: Linux Graphics Architecture (format fixed)

David Schleef (ds@stm.lbl.gov)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:33:51 -0800

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 12:00:55AM -0500, Ben Bridgwater wrote:

> Much more than that! :) I'm really looking for a complete solution. It's no
> good having your X server happily coexist with the framebuffer if the whole
> thing snarfs up when I run some game that directly accesses the graphics
> hardware. We need to provide an efficient low level device driver that even
> games writers will be happy to use. I think it would be a shame to put a lot of
> effort into an X-only solution.

Will this "efficient low level device driver" work over a network as
well as X does? Given that gigabit ethernet is just around the corner,
bandwidth is _not_ a problem. I wouldn't like to see a situation
develop where game writers choose a limiting, non-standard interface
to get short-term performance increase. There already is a complete
solution. It's called X.

X or text. If you think X is too slow, fix it.

dave...