RE: IP aliases and 100MB NIC

Fred Reimer (Fred.Reimer@eclipsys.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:50:07 -0500

Fil,

Seems no one responded yet, so let me make a few suggestions. Don't use
autosense. I've seen problems with multiple vendors getting autosense
"right." I've seen products from the SAME vendor not do autosense right.
What can happen is that if you set your NIC to Full Duplex/100MB and your
switch to autosense is that the switch may fail to detect the Full Duplex
(10/100MB is usually detected OK) and will, by default, drop to Half Duplex
mode. So, you have your card at Full Duplex and your switch at Half Duplex.
Your switch may (should?) drop packets (record as a collision?) if you try
to send a packet at the same time you are receiving one (which you should be
able to do with Full Duplex). In particular, I've seen this problem with
350 switches and Intel NICs.

This may be a kernel issue, but please try forcing the duplex/speed on both
ends first and see if that solves your problem.

HTH,

Fred Reimer