Re: [patch] fixed 2.2.1 inode-leakage due bogus design of the free_inodes algorithm [was [Re: [shows

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:17:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Oleg Drokin wrote:

> Hmm. I do not know. I did not tried that, I just created 120000 empty files,
> and I am sure it did not finished copy even 10k of them.

If you could send me the exploit to run on 16Mbyte it would be very
confortable to me when I'll start looking into the problem again.

> In single user mode with swap:
> 2058 6 1 0 0 0 0
> (in previous entries 1st number constantly increases.

I know ;)

> the 3rd number always 0 except the last entry)

Normal they are unused.

> Shift - Scroll lock shows 11854 kb of free pages.

Try to increase inode-max to 8000 or 10000 just as workaround. It should
be not needed if I rember well, but I didn't looked the recovery part of
grow_inodes in detail and I am forced to stop playing with linux now.
I'll return looking into inode.c this night...

Andrea Arcangeli