Re: k6 freeze in kernel 2.0.36

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:07:58 +0100

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 10:57:44PM -0500, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> I've got an AMD K6/3D 300MHz Stepping A processor that seems to periodically
> Seg11. I'm currently running RedHat 5.2 and am wondering if this behavior will get
> better/worse if I up it to 2.2.1. The thing seems to run fast (599 BOGOMips) but I
> can't count on it with Linux. NT (of all things) didn't have this problem.

The K6-2/300 do have another problem - they come in two variants, a normal 100 MHz
bus (AFR marking) one, and a 66 MHz bus (AFR66 marking) variant. The other has been
shipped in not-so-small quantity, and many people have used it as the 100 MHz part.
It doesn't work reliably on 100 MHz. That might be the problem you're seeing.

Vojtech