Re: Katmai/PIII support

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:08:32 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > > It is probably controllable by the kernel.
> >
> > reportedly theres an MSR bit to switch it off. I just dont know the
> > number, otherwise i'd have included it in the Katmai patch. (Later on we
> > might make it configurable/detectable/per-process/per-user-switchable once
> > people start running those ID-'enhanced' applications under Wine.)
>
> Heh, or teach WINE to emulate it... (entering whatever number we tell
> it.)

i dont think we can fault on it, it would be equally stupid by Intel. I
think we cannot switch off CPUID either. (only fault with #UD on CPUs that
have no cpuid) Also there are ways to detect an emulated CPUID as well.
(but yes if we can fault on it then it's already much harder to write good
copy-protection ... huh, going offtopic fast ;)

-- mingo